Dear Parents, October 6, 2014
This week in first grade, we are learning…
Language Arts: Our reading strategy is “summarize”. After we have finished reading a story we should be able to retell the story in just a few sentences. The comprehension skill that will help us with the reading strategy is story structure. Knowing that the characters and setting are introduced in the beginning of the story, that the character is faced with a problem during the middle of the story and that the character finds a solution to the problem in the ending of the story will help us understand the story and help us with the ability to summarize. Our phonics focus this week is the short sound of /u/ and the consonants q, j, and z. Our grammar focus is on action words (verbs).
Spelling: Our spelling words this week will focus on the short sound of /u/ – Unit 9. The words are on Spellingcity.com. Our test will be on Friday this week. When completing the homework in the spelling book, please make sure that your child is using the unit spelling words to complete the pages. Please read those directions carefully!
Math: We are starting Unit 3: Visual Patterns, Number Patterns, and Counting. We will begin with discussion and practice of visual patterns. We will also discuss patterns with even and odd numbers, as well as numbers on a number grid.
Religion: We will discuss how we pray to God Our Father.
Science: In science we will continue our study of animals with a focus on their body parts.
Social Studies: We will continue with Unit 2: At Home With My Family. We will have our second first lesson: The Leaving Morning as well as build our skill of finding a home address on a map!
Homework for the Week:
- Monday: Rainbow Write 2x and Math Worksheet (Double-sided)
- Tuesday: Spelling pgs. 81 & 83 and IXL.com Skill P.1
- Wednesday: Spelling pgs. 84-85 and Math Worksheet (Double-sided)
- Thursday: Spelling p. 86 and Math Worksheet
- Friday: Read 2 times!
Reminders for the Week:
- **Monday is a Free-Free Dress (no $1 necessary) for keeping our campus clean!**
- **Our Weekly Work Packets (the yellow folders that go home on Tuesdays with your students work) will no longer be weekly. Instead K-5 will be sending them home every two weeks.**
- Please remind your child to bring their library book to school Tuesday so that they may check out a new one.
- PE Uniforms on Tuesday and Thursday!
- Progress Reports go home on Tuesday, October 7th.
- Friday is a full day.
- Saturday is the Sacred Heart Church Fall Harvest Festival from 1pm-6pm. Please support our parish!
If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know. Have a fantastic week!