Dear Parents, February 12, 2018
Here’s what we are doing in first grade…
Language Arts: We are squeezing in as much time as possible for our nonfiction chapter books! Within phonics, we will be focusing again on our vowel pairs. This week, we will look at “oa” and “ow”. Although “w” is not a vowel, it really really wants to be! Both say the long /o/ sound as in “boat” or “slow”. Again our phrase is to remind us which sound these vowel pairs makes is… “When two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking!” Our spelling words are from Unit 32!
Math: We are working on Unit 6. We will be practicing our fact families using fact triangles. By the end of the week, we will be learning about measuring in centimeters and exploring our patterns.
Science: We will be taking our science test this week!
Social Studies: We will be flying around again this week! Please ask your students where we are traveling!
Religion: This week we will be completing our Virtus lessons.
Homework for the Week:
- Monday: Rainbow Write and Math Worksheet
- Tuesday: Spelling Book p. 221 & 224 and Math Worksheet
- Wednesday: 6 Sentences and Math Worksheet
- Thursday: 6 Sentences and Math Worksheet
- Friday: Read 2 Times
Reminders for the Week:
- PE Uniforms on Tuesday and Thursday.
- Ash Wednesday is on February 14th. We will be attending mass in the morning.
- We will be having a simple Valentine’s Day celebration at the end of the day. Please remind your student to bring their Valentines to pass out!
- We are tentatively planning our library trip on Wednesday. However, we may miss it again this week due to STAR testing!
- Friday is a half-day of school and School-wide centers! If you are available and would like to volunteer please email me at email@example.com
Have a lovely week!