Dear Parents, May 1, 2017
My Goodness! It is May!
Congratulations to our poetry winners –Savannah placed first and Abby placed third! Woo-hoo!
Language Arts: We are moving into writing about our opinions without the help of collections! We are finding restaurants, toys, books, movies, TV shows that we have opinions on and using that to write! We are big kids now! In phonics this week, we are focusing again on r-controlled words. However this week, we look at the “ar” vowel pair. The sound for /ar/ is found in star and car. Our new spelling words are not from our Spelling book however, they will be practicing this r-controlled sound. We will be taking our spelling test on Friday!
Math: We are continuing to work through Unit 9. This week, we are focusing on fractions and comparing fractions.
Science: We are learning about the different seasons in science. We will be focusing on the season of spring this week.
Social Studies: We will be moving through unit 5: My Country, My Heroes. We will be learning about Christopher Columbus and strengthening our calendar reading skills.
Religion: We will have our May Crowning Ceremony on Monday at 2:15pm in the church. We would love for you all to attend! I hope to see you there! We are also working from our textbooks this week- Chapter 21: Jesus Sends Us the Spirit.
Homework for the Week: (Don’t forget to read every night!)
- Monday: Rainbow Write and Math Worksheet
- Tuesday: 6 Sentences and Math Worksheet
- Wednesday: 6 Sentences and Math Worksheet
- Thursday: IXL.com Skill X.7
- Friday: Read 2 Times
Reminders for the Week:
- Progress Reports go home on Tuesday!
- PE Uniforms on Tuesday and Thursday.
- Please remind your student to bring their library book on Thursday so that they may check out a new one!
- Friday is a half day and our last Primary Centers!! If you are available to volunteer please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Don’t forget our Jog-a-Thon is coming up! Please mark your calendar for May 12th!
Have a stellar week!