Dear Parents, October 9, 2017
This week in First Grade we are learning….
Language Arts: In Writers Workshop we will be focusing on writing exact actions and practicing our pop out words. In Readers Workshop we will be working on our stamina and determination when we get to tricky words. We will also practice sounding out vowels in two ways (long and short sounds) . In addition, we will also be focusing on specific phonetic skills. This week, short sound of /u/ and the consonants q, j, and z. Our spelling words will be practicing these sounds and will come from Unit 9 in our books.
Math: We are beginning Unit 3! We will be focusing on patterns- visual patterns, even and odd number patterns, and patterns on the number grid.
Science: We are continuing on with Chapter 2: Animals. We will be looking at how animals use their mouths and begin a study of nocturnal animals.
Social Studies: We will begin Unit 2: At Home With My Family. We will have our vocabulary introduction and our first lesson: Welcome Home!
Religion: We will begin Chapter 6 in our religion series. We will discuss how God speaks to us.
Homework for the Week:
- Monday: Math Worksheet and Rainbow Write
- Tuesday: Math Worksheet and Spelling Book p. 123 & 125
- Wednesday: Just Read
- Thursday: Math Worksheet and Spelling Book p. 127-128
- Friday: Read 2 times!
Reminders for the Week:
- Please remember to pack a water bottle for your child! We no longer have any water fountains on school property.
- PE Uniforms on Tuesday and Thursday
- Wednesday is our library day. Please remind your child to bring their library book to school on Wednesday so that they may check out a new one. We will be unable to go to the library at any other point during the week.
- Friday is a full-day!
Have a great week!