Dear Parents, November 13, 2017
Here’s what we are doing in first grade…
Language Arts: In Writers Workshop we are beginning our next area of writing – Informative Writing! In Readers Workshop we are continuing our second unit on nonfiction books. This week, we will be focusing on clusters with /s/. Again, clusters are two consonants that blend together. We can still hear all of the letters but they make one sound. Examples are step, slug, and best. Although ‘sh’ looks like a cluster – it is not. We call that one a digraph because the sound completely changes. We will be learning about digraphs shortly. Our spelling words will be practicing our clusters with /s/ and will come from Unit 15 in our books.
Math: We are working on Unit 4. We will continue with measurement as we study the inch and begin using tools to help us measure.
Science: We are taking a quick break from science so we may prepare for our Thanksgiving play!
Social Studies: We are preparing for our Thanksgiving play that we will perform in class on November 22nd. Everyone will have a speaking part. However, lines do not need to be memorized, as we will have our scripts in hand for our performance. Scripts will be coming home on Monday. Please help your child learn their lines. In addition, if anyone will not be here on November 22, please notify me as soon as possible so that I may adjust our speaking roles.
Religion: This week we are reading from our religion books, Chapter 9: God Promised a Savior.
Homework for the Week:
- Monday: Math Worksheet and Rainbow Write
- Tuesday: Math Worksheet and Spelling Book p. 117 & 119
- Wednesday: Spelling Book p. 120-121
- Thursday: Math Worksheet and Spelling Book p. 122
Reminders for the Week:
- PE Uniforms on Tuesday and Thursday.
- Wednesday is our library day. Please remind your child to bring their library book to school on Wednesday so that they may check out a new one. We will be unable to go to the library at any other point during the week.
- Wednesday is the deadline to order $1 Thanksgiving cookies to raise money for Adopt a Family.
- Wednesday is $1 Free Dress Day!
- Friday is a full day of school!
Have a great week!