Dear Parents, January 22, 2018
Here’s what we are doing in first grade…
Language Arts: We are beginning our second section in writing our nonfiction books this week! Within phonics, we will be focusing on the long o and long u! Remember the silent “e” at the end of those CVCe words and our phrase “Hey “o”! Say your name!” This week we will learn a new word pattern: CV (consonant, vowel). In these words, the vowel will say its name too! Our spelling words are from Unit 22! We will have a new spelling assignment this week: 6 Sentences. Students will write 6 sentences total. Each sentence will have one spelling word. We will practice a sentence or two in class on Wednesday and Thursday.
Math: We are continuing Unit 5. We are working on comparing numbers using number stories!
Science: We are starting our next chapter this week: Kinds of Environments.
Social Studies: We will begin our next unit: My World Near and Far as we begin to prepare for our School Fair in March.
Religion: This week we will be reading from our textbook – Jesus Calls Apostles.
Homework for the Week:
- Monday: Rainbow Write and Math Worksheet
- Tuesday: Spelling Book p. 161- 162 and IXL Skill D.6
- Wednesday: 6 Sentences and Math Worksheet
- Thursday: 6 Sentences and Math Worksheet
- Friday: Read 2 Times
Reminders for the Week:
- PE Uniforms on Tuesday and Thursday.
- Please remind your student to bring their library book on Wednesday so that they may check out a new one.
- Friday is a noon dismissal and Parents Day! Please join us if your schedule permits. We will meet you in the church for 8:30am mass and see you in the classrooms after our morning recess – around 10:30am.
- SHS is having our Open House this Sunday from 12pm-2pm. If you know any prospective students and their families, please encourage them to come see SHS.
- Throughout Catholic Schools Week (beginning on Parents Day) we will be collecting non-perishable food items and any other small donations such as toys, teddy bears, etc. These donations will go to Sacred Heart Food Pantry and will show our appreciation for our Parish!
Have an awesome week!