Dear Parents, January 29, 2018
It was wonderful to see so many of you on Friday for Parent’s Day! Thank you for your continued support of our school and helping us kick off Catholic Schools Week!
Here’s what we are doing in first grade…
Language Arts: We are working hard on creating our chapter titles for our nonfiction books! Within phonics, we will be focusing on the long e sound! Remember the silent “e” at the end of those CVCe words and our phrase “Hey “e”! Say your name!” This week we continue the word pattern from last week: CV (consonant, vowel). In these words, the vowel will say its name too! In addition, this week, we begin our study of vowel pairs! Our phrase is: When two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking. Our vowel pairs this week are “ee” and “ea”. Our spelling words are from Unit 28!
Math: We are wrapping up Unit 5. We will be using a new strategy this week to help us solve our math problems: The Function Machine! An explanation letter will go home in addition to the homework on Tuesday.
Science: We are continuing our chapter on environments this week. We will be learning about streams.
Social Studies: We begin our travels this week! This week we will go to two different countries.
Religion: This week we will be reading from our textbook – Jesus Shows God’s Love.
Homework for the Week:
- Monday: Rainbow Write and Math Worksheet
- Tuesday: Spelling Book p. 197 & 200 and Math Worksheet
- Wednesday: No Homework for Student Appreciation Day!
- Thursday: 6 Sentences and Math Worksheet
- Friday: Read 2 Times
Reminders for the Week:
- PE Uniforms on Tuesday and Thursday.
- Wednesday is Student Appreciation Day! Students may wear free dress and lunch will be provided!
- Please remind your student to bring their library book on Wednesday so that they may check out a new one.
- Friday is a full day of school!
- Throughout Catholic Schools Week we will be collecting non-perishable food items and any other small donations such as toys, teddy bears, etc. These donations will go to Sacred Heart Food Pantry and will show our appreciation for our Parish!
Have an amazing week!