Hello Third Grade Families,
This is a busy time for all, so below you will find some important dates from the coming days and weeks to keep in mind:
- There will be PE on Monday & Tuesday this week followed by music on Wednesday & Thursday.
- Wednesday is a free dress day. Bring $1 (or more) to participate. All will be donated to St. Jude’s Hospital.
- Friday we will have intermediate centers!
- Students will be reciting their selected poems for the class next week. Finalists will be announced Friday 4/15th.
- Thursday 4/21 is the very last day for In-N-Out orders.
- Wednesday 4/27 is the intermediate Spring program. Plan to arrive a little before the show begins at 6:30.
Math: We will complete Chapter 8: Fractions this week. The unit test will be on Wednesday.
W.20 Match Mixed Numbers to Models
S.6 Elapsed Time I
Reading: This week we learn a new skill: identifying main ideas and supporting details. This is best supported through non-fiction reading, but can be applied to nearly any text. I would highly recommend exploring non-fiction reading in the coming weeks and months, not only to practice this skill but to expand students’ reading exposure and practice. All students are assessed in both fiction as well as non-fiction texts at the end of each trimester. Click here for more on this skill.
Reading Log: Students should log in a minimum of 100 minutes of reading this week.
Word Work: Our next test will be on Friday. As a reminder, students are periodically assessed with “Spell Checks” – cumulative reviews. So take some time over the course of your studies to practice words from the recent past.
Writer’s Workshop: We continue with persuasive writing. This week we will focus on building a collection of strategies for generating opinion writing as well as considering audience.
Grammar: The class will complete Unit 4: Adjectives and Adverbs. The unit test will take place Thursday. Please take some time to review identifying adjectives and adverbs with your child. The Grammar Workshop site has review activities to go with every lesson. Students are always welcome to take home their books for extra practice, too.
Science: This week is all about how living things change environments.
Social Studies: We will continue our unit on Government and Citizenship.
Religion: Happy Easter! This week the class continues Chapter 16: Jesus is Risen!