Kindergarten had a very informative presentation on honey bees this Tuesday. Many of our students tried two types of honey – Tupelo and Buckwheat so sweet and tasty! We also examined honey comb wax – so intricate and light.
We learned these facts:
- average hive has 50,000 bees
- each flight bees visit 50 to 100 flowers on a sunny warm day
- bees eat honey to make wax
- each bee produces only 1/12 of a teaspoon of honey in their lifetime
- all worker bees are female – live about 5 or 6 weeks
- the queen bee can live up to 5 years
Thank you for teaching us about honey bees, Miss Lisa!